I did not want to remodel our kitchen floors. When we first looked at the house we loved the floor. It had just been redone and we really like the look of the tiles. It was one of the reasons we bought the house. And then..... several months after moving in we started to notice the grout cracking in places. In the last two years it has been a constant annoyance. The grout would crack and come up and the kids would start pulling it out. In the end I was sweeping up grout just about every day. We knew that in just a few months we would have a crawling baby in the house and we didn't want her choking on grout that we had missed. So the decision was made that it had to come up.
It took us a while to decide what to put down in its place. We knew the tiling job was probably not very good, but we also suspected that our floor had too much give in it for tile to be a good idea anyway, so that was out. Wood isn't a great idea in kitchens because of the water factor. We considered laminate for a little bit, but that has the same problems as wood if it got too wet. So, we ended up deciding on vinyl planks. We went to look at our options, but every type of wood look that we liked was special order and we didn't really want to wait that long. There were some great looking tile like options, and we finally decided on one we liked. Coincidentally, it looks very similar to the tile were were going to pull out. Its freefloating so we were't going to have the same problems with the floor moving and it was also one of the easiest options to install.
Adam's dad was able to get a weekend free and come up to help us. We can't thank his parents enough for all they did to make this remodel possible. We really could not have done it without their help. Really and truly. Thank you SO much!
First, we emptied the kitchen into the living room and the baby's room. It was quite the mess for a couple days and I was quite out of sorts for the weekend until everything got put back together.
Starting the demo. We knew a lot of tiles were loose, but we had no idea just how easy it would be to take up this floor.
Turns out the mortar didn't stick to anything. There were only little bits and pieces here and there that actually stuck to the tiles and it was easily knocked off.
All in all, I think we saved 70 full tiles and had maybe ten that broke or weren't salvageable. If anyone needs tile, just let me know. We are selling them for half what they are in the store.
Underneath we found backer board, which would have helped, if only they had used mortar to fix it down. A few screws is all that was holding it to the floor, so we basically had a floating tile floor. As you can also see they must have had too dry a mixture or waited too long to put the tiles down. You can see all the trowel lines from the thinset that didn't even get moved by the tile when they layed it.
The linoleum underneath.
Putting in the plywood underlayment.
Taking a much needed snuggle break.
Making the floor our own.
The boys had fun coloring a bit and we all put either a hand or foot in.
Yes he is!
The floor is in!
Finishing up the last paint touches to the kickboards and trim.
Everything done but the last of the clean up. It was a whirlwind weekend and the men worked very hard to get it all done. Thanks guys! The new floor is great and with any luck we won't have any problems with it for a lot of years to come.
Loving the new floors all for her. Now she can crawl to her heart's content and we don't have to worry about it at all.